Monthly Archives: January 2012
An Interview With Stephen Bogart
Tomorrow is the grand opening of the new Warner Bros. Theater at the Smithsonian Institute. In celebration of the opening the theater will be screening four films featuring Humphrey Bogart, arguably the studio’s must notable star: Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, Treasure of Sierra Madre and The Big Sleep. Stephen Bogart, son of film legends Bogart and Lauren Bacall, will be on hand for the inaugural presentation of Casablanca. I was lucky enough to speak with him briefly this morning about the new theater, his father’s legacy and some of his thoughts on Hollywood today.
Movie Quote of the Day – Beat The Devil, 1953 (dir. John Huston)
Movie Quote of the Day – Do The Right Thing, 1989 (dir. Spike Lee)
Guesting on the MATINEECAST Podcast
In which I discuss with Ryan from The Matinee the Oscar nominations this year, who got snubbed and wax philosophical on dog actors.
You can visit the link above to listen to the podcast, or you can download it here.
“The Help” Dominates SAG Awards
- The Artist
- The Descendants
- The Help
- Midnight In Paris
- Demián Bichir – A Better Life
- Jean Dujardin – The Artist
- George Clooney – The Descendants
- Leonardo DiCaprio – J. Edgar
- Brad Pitt – Moneyball
- Glenn Close – Albert Nobbs
- Viola Davis – The Help
- Meryl Streep – The Iron Lady
- Michelle Williams – My Week With Marilyn
- Tilda Swinton – We Need To Talk About Kevin
Best Supporting Actor
- Christopher Plummer – Beginners
- Armie Hammer – J. Edgar
- Kenneth Branagh – My Week With Marilyn
- Jonah Hill – Moneyball
- Nick Nolte – Warrior
Best Supporting Actress
- Janet McTeer – Albert Nobbs
- Bérénice Bejo – The Artist
- Melissa McCarthy – Bridesmaids
- Jessica Chastain – The Help
- Octavia Spencer – The Help
Best Stunt Ensemble
- The Adjustment Bureau
- Cowboys and Aliens
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2
- Transfromers: Dark of the Moon
- X-Men: First Class
Movie Quote of the Day – The Glass Key, 1942 (dir. Stuart Heisler)
Michel Hazanavicius wins DGA
Movie Quote of the Day – Everything Is Illuminated, 2005 (dir. Liev Schreiber)
Jonathan: I’m a vegetarian.
Alex: You’re a what?
Jonathan: I don’t eat meat.
Alex: How can you not eat meat?
Jonathan: I. . .I. . .just don’t.
Alex: [to Grandfather, in Russian] He says he does not eat meat.
Grandfather: [to Alex, in Russian] What?
Alex: No meat?
Jonathan: No meat.
Alex: And what about the sausage?
Jonathan: No, no sausage, no meat!
Alex: [to Grandfather, in Russian] He says he does not eat any meat.
Grandfather: [to Alex, in Russian] Not even sausage?
Alex: [to Grandfather, in Russian] I know!
Grandfather: [to Alex, in Russian] What is wrong with him?
Alex: What is wrong with you?
Jonathan: Nothing, I just don’t eat meat!